Land development for residential and commercial use is a minefield, not a pasture. Clients need experienced legal counsel to guide them safely through the changing legal landscape. Both developers and landowners need experienced legal counsel to navigate the complexities of the official plan, zoning by-laws and a myriad of other regulatory agencies.
At Lawrences, we have acted for developers, landowners, investors and municipalities, so we know how to approach “the other side” effectively. We have acted on numerous substantial tracts of land in the Region of Peel, the surrounding area, the GTA, and throughout Southern Ontario.
We also provide counsel on matters involving other members of the development team, such as the planner, the architect, the builder, the surveyor and the engineer. We have good working relationships with these important members of the development team and with government officials and their staff. Our services include:
- Land acquisitions and sales
- Joint ventures and development partnerships
- Project financing
- Negotiation of municipal agreements, including site plan, servicing, subdivision and development agreements
- Land use planning approvals, including official plan amendments, rezoning, site-plan approvals, and plans of subdivision
- Representation before city and regional councils, Niagara Escarpment Commission, Ontario Municipal Board, and other administrative tribunals
- Minor variances/severances from Committees of Adjustment
- By-law compliance
- Easements and rights-of-way
- Property assessments
- Cost-sharing agreements and trustee representation for municipal front-ending servicing agreements