Dealing with the many legal issues affecting today’s workplace is complex and time-consuming. At every juncture of the employment relationship from hiring to firing, employers must ensure that they have met their legal obligations to their employees and employees must understand their duties, rights, and entitlements.
Putting the necessary tools in place, such as comprehensive employment agreements, policies and procedures, can head off costly disputes and enterprise-threatening litigation. When disputes arise, their prompt resolution can prevent small matters from escalating into full-scale industrial actions. If termination of the employment relationship is inevitable, doing it properly and negotiating fair resolutions can prevent expensive and acrimonious litigation.
To minimize the disruption associated with labour and employment disputes, our Labour and Employment lawyers combine lengthy experience with a focus on our clients’ needs. Large international employers, mid-sized businesses, small family-owned enterprises, Canadian subsidiaries, executives, and individual mid-level employees in Brampton, Peel Region, the Greater Toronto Area, and southern Ontario regularly engage us to provide counsel in labour and employment matters. We take a preventive approach, guiding and training our clients in ways to avoid escalation of problems, but vigorously representing them if legal action is inevitable.
We represent both public and private sector employers, unionized and non-unionized, federally and provincially regulated, before all levels of court and tribunal. Our services include:
- Wrongful dismissal and employment-related litigation
- Business succession and corporate transactions
- Union organizing and certification response
- Labour disputes
- Grievance management and labour arbitrations
- Administration of collective agreements
- Workplace investigations
- Discipline and termination
- Human rights
- Ontario Labour Relations Board and Canada Industrial Relations Board Proceedings
- Occupational health and safety
- Management training
- Employment agreements, workplace policies and procedures