Bill Lawrence joined his father in practice in 1957. He was the silver medalist in his Osgoode Hall law school class and had spent a year clerking for Chief Justice James McRuer, the first Ontario graduate to be given such a position. He went on to lead Lawrences from a two-person general practice to a full-service business law firm, mentoring generations of young lawyers over 53 years of legal practice.
Bill practised corporate and commercial law at a time when Brampton was growing by leaps and bounds. He moved the firm from its somewhat cramped premises on Main Street to its present home on Queen Street in Brampton and acted in many of the largest land deals in the Brampton area. Bill was appointed Queen’s Counsel (QC) in 1969.
We remember Bill as an outstanding lawyer who placed a premium on client service. He always emphasized listening to clients’ needs and nurturing the solicitor/client relationship, so that the client could rely on the lawyer as a trusted advisor.
Bill was more than just a lawyer, however. He and his wife Jean raised five children and generously contributed to many social, charitable and youth organizations. Our thoughts are with his family as we celebrate the achievements of Bill’s long life.
Bill Lawrence was our mentor, friend, and counsel. We are saddened by his loss but inspired by his legacy. Lawrences will be making a donation to the William and Jean Lawrence Endowment Fund with the Brampton and Caledon Community Foundation.