L. Murray Eades has had a lengthy and distinguished career in the law, first with two Toronto law firms, then in his own practice which he founded in Toronto and relocated to Mississauga in 1980, and now at Lawrences in 2017. His current practice encompasses corporate/commercial law, transportation law, and tax planning. He has also had extensive experience in commercial litigation, especially in the area of storage and warehouse liens. In addition to his role as legal counsel, Murray has served on the boards of many private and public companies. He has also served on the boards of various community organizations and municipalities, representing them before the Ontario Municipal Board. Early in his career, he gained considerable experience in the transportation industry and was engaged as one of the draftsmen of the statute-mandated Bill of Lading that continues to be used in all Canadian provinces except Quebec. During the 1980s, by virtue of his stature among transportation lawyers, Murray was elected to serve on the board of directors for the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association. Murray is ranked as repeatedly recommended for Transportation Law in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- General counsel for United Van Lines Canada since 1962.
- Acted as counsel to United in lengthy dealings with the Competition Bureau during its investigation of the moving industry from 1962 to the 1980s and was called upon several times to give advice on proposed business activities in the industry.
- Achieved a settlement on the courthouse steps on behalf of a client suing for breach of contract. The contract had been terminated without notice and the client’s truck drivers had been hired away by the defendant company.
- Currently assisting clients with private companies who are affected by new provisions in the Income Tax Act (Canada) that took effect in 2017.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Peel Bar Association
- Ranked as repeatedly recommended for Transportation Law in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory